Do you remember your first kiss?

Do you remember your first kiss?
Do you remember your first kiss?

Wednesday 14 December 2011

I HATE PLASTIC BAGS!

It's time for me to have a good rant again.
I HATE PLASTIC BAGS!
I ALSO DISLIKE PEOPLE WHO GO OUT OF THEIR HOUSE WITH THE FULL INTENTION OF GOING SHOPPING, WHO DON'T TAKE SOME FORM OF CARRIER BAG(S) WITH THEM!

Why do people do this? Plastic bags are not biodegradable and lead to needless waste. Each house has hundreds of used plastic bags in it. When my wife and I go shopping (to Tesco, to our eternal shame) we always take 4 or 5 strong, durable carrier bags with us to pack our groceries in. (These durable bags have SAINSBURYS written on them in large letters, which gives me some perverse pleasure!). 
Other people in our check out queue have no bags with them at all! I feel like saying to them "When you got ready to go shopping, WHY DID YOU NOT PACK BAGS? YOU MUST HAVE A HOUSEFUL OF THEM!" My wife prevails on me to keep quiet, but it is very difficult.

In Wales, on October 1st 2011, the Welsh Assembly introduced a piece of legislation calling for all retailers to charge all customers 5p for each bag that they dispense, when shoppers purchase. The income goes back to the state as tax. The transformation has been instantaneous and massive! Everyone now carries a carrier bag in their handbag or pocket. By October 7th, the population of Wales had changed its collective psyche about carrying bags with them! How marvellous! Why can't legislaters bring such legislation about in England?

I will write to my MP today.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the charge for placky bags is a step in the right direction. Some folk will take a long time, though to get the idea properly. Yesterday I walked out of the supermarket behind someone who was carrying her shopping in one of the store's plastic basket. She lifted up the tailgate of her car, placed the basket inside and drove off. Will she bring it back next time? Probably not. They have lots more in the shop.

    ReplyDelete